Friday, January 13, 2006

The trouble with women…


I haven’t had a chance to work on my cop theme this week as I have had some women troubles.
Don’t get me wrong I’m very happily married; you see my troubles began when I needed to design a female character for work. I’ve never really been able to draw female characters, at least not in my own style. I can draw blokes in a style that I’m quite comfortable with (short and stout with no neck and quite stocky looking) and I wanted to apply this same style to a female character.
The result just looked wrong, it was too masculine. So I tried thinning the neck and creating almond shaped eyes and the like. But what ever I tried the end result just lacked an important Principle of Animation being “Appeal”. So I went back to the stocky style that I use on my male characters and tried again.
It took me a week’s worth of design but I’m finally in the right zone. Still needs more development but more or less the style is there.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rob Campbell said...

I love these pictures! That's a totally unique style for the female, very comical. I had (have) the same trouble. When I was around 18-20 I'd draw/watercolor these women's faces and they'd look like drag queens. Kind of embarassing.

I enjoy the stuff you have up here. Found my way to you from AN.

4:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home